BarbsBooks

For girls (and boys) who like boys,

who like boys. . . .

Live your Life, Buy the Book

BarbsBooks

Sock it to Me, Santa!

Sock it to Me, Santa! - Madison  Parker

4 Stars
Xmas in July! Gotta love it!

What an absolutely adorable read. It is YA so no sex, but damn… I think I have a foot thing going on. :-)

Ryan’s Homegroup teacher organises a Secret Santa gift exchange – 3 weeks, 3 gifts, but they all have to be handmade. Fun idea! But for those that aren’t good at crafts it is a difficult task…. possibly made harder depending on who your recipient is. Ryan knows he is gay, but has elected to stay in the closet until College. Jamie also knows he is gay, but is fairly open about it. Of course Ryan draws Jamie’s name in the Secret Santa – but what the heck will he make him? He hardly knows the guy. It made me think of Christmas Carol – instead of 3 ghostly visits though we have 3 gifts – and the increased feelings behind each gift is just beautiful, culminating with a total *thud* moment.

This book really hits its mark in showing how tough it can be at school. The panic that Ryan feels – second guessing every action in his interactions with Jamie, he was terrified people would discover his secret – it really pulled at my heart-strings. School can be tough and with all the social networking, and not a lot of privacy, it makes it even harder.

I loved Ryan and his family so much. Yes, he stays quiet when he should speak up. Yes, he should have been brave enough to openly be Jamie’s friend. But you feel his fear, and feel for, him. He is a good guy, and ultimately he comes through.

Jamie is a shining star, living his life his way. He endures the actions of idiots, almost immune to them. But when someone he likes hurts him – that dims his light. Takes away his lustre. Isn’t that always the way? The closer you are the deeper the cut.

I really loved this book. I would love more of these guys! Let’s all go to College with them and share the trials and tribulations that entails. I don’t want to say goodbye yet :-( Go. Buy the Book! At 99c buy one for your friend too! :-)