BarbsBooks

For girls (and boys) who like boys,

who like boys. . . .

Live your Life, Buy the Book

BarbsBooks

Undertow

Undertow - Andrea Speed 4.5 Stars

This is not a stand-alone. There are six other books that you should read first in order to make sense of who’s who and how Roan McKichan’s virus has evolved. Andrea Speed does touch on previous events but they’re more of a memory jogger than full explanations.

Roan McKichan is a virus child. He was born with the virus that turns him into a big cat (in his case a lion) for a few days each month. Virus children don’t usually live very long as the monthly transformations eventually take their toll on the human body. However, Roan lives (and loves) to be controversial and his virus is evolving in a way that makes him superhuman and is keeping him alive far beyond the age of thirty.

The story starts where “Lesser Evils” ended and carries on in much the same style. Life is moving on for everybody and Roan is thankful to be spending his life with his husband Dylan, who is back working at Panic. Dr. Rosenberg is studying Roan and the effects of the virus on his body, Holden and Scott won’t admit to being in a relationship, Grey continues to baffle everybody with his philosophy on life and Gordo reluctantly faces retirement. There are cases to solve and Roan is still being called in by the PD’s Kitty Squad when big cats come out to play in public. Now able to partially transform at will he’s a scary sight, and it’s becoming increasingly more difficult to control the lion inside him and to keep his powers secret from the general public.

I enjoyed this book immensely. There is a huge cast of characters and various POVs, but the story doesn’t wander off from the plight of Roan McKichan, Lion Extraordinaire. I wouldn’t mind seeing some of the minor characters in a spin-off of their own (Dee/Luke anyone?) although not at the expense of Infected:8, I hasten to add!

In terms of erotica, I’d call this a 1. There are no graphic depictions of sex here. There’s lots of emotion, plenty of shirtless torsos and a fair amount of flirting, but when sex rears its lusty head the page fades to black and it’s left to our fevered imaginations. And as much as I like to read a well-written sex scene in books, I didn’t miss it here because the rest of the story held my attention so well.

Go. Buy the book.