BarbsBooks

For girls (and boys) who like boys,

who like boys. . . .

Live your Life, Buy the Book

BarbsBooks

Pawn Takes Rook

Pawn Takes Rook - Lex Chase 4 Stars

First thing I’m going to say is that cover is awesome! It stopped me the minute I saw it and of course I had to click on it. The blurb saying it’s about superheroes pretty much sealed the deal for me. It kind of had a comic book feel with some witty humor. This book will call for suspending your ideas of reality because, well, they’re super heroes, who have super powers that normal men obviously don’t. I admit I got a little lost the initial time they were used and would have appreciated a more thorough explanation but I just rolled with it.

The story is told from Hogarth’s POV and starts off with him being saved from three goons by the somewhat famous superhero, Mephis Rook. He’s a bit in awe of the big guy and is shocked when the tough guy faints at his feet once the danger has passed. He can’t leave him on the street so he manages to get him back to his apartment where he strips him and puts him in a cold bath to drop his oddly high temperature. Watching Rook naked in a bathtub makes Hogarth realize he is a bit enamored with Rook and thinks maybe the guy is flirting with him. He can’t really get a feel for the guy and he’s way too scary to make a move and be wrong about it. Rook does give him a nickname, Garth, and asks him to help patrol for baddies. Garth can take care of himself somewhat because he also has a power. Garth is a Kitsbasher, someone who can manipulate and talk to technology. I think? Anyway, it’s not a common power and Rook has been kicked out of the Power Alliance, the league of superheroes, so they aren’t technically allowed to be running the streets as chasing bad guys. They do it anyway since Garth has always wanted to be a superhero and is determined to get Rook reinstated as an official hero in the alliance.

This book was a pretty fun little read. I wasn’t totally into the coupling and would have liked a bit more fire stoking in that department but I definitely wanted them together.

Whit's full review can be found at
Live Your Life, Buy The Book