BarbsBooks

For girls (and boys) who like boys,

who like boys. . . .

Live your Life, Buy the Book

BarbsBooks

Freedom

Freedom - Jay Kirkpatrick 4 Stars

This was kind of a heavy read for me. To be honest the cover kind of scared me but I also found myself needing to know why that poor man was sitting alone naked in the corner. I am glad I put on my big girl panties and read this book. I was instantly submerged into this world and just had to know what happened to that man. The story is told from different POVs which I enjoyed for the most part.

Freedom is split into three parts. I found the first part highly intriguing. Patrick is an empath for a medical facility in a futuristic world. He was rescued off the streets as a kid and tested for what they call, Talent, meaning you have some kind of special skill. You are then given a score or level and trained or turned away as too low to benefit the City. His entire life he has considered himself lucky to have a place to live, food to eat and a bright future with the company. His first patient is a John Doe who came to them badly tortured and mentally broken. He’s been resistant to any help but Patrick manages to make a break through with the John Doe. He gets him to eat and is able to communicate with him. He learns the real name of John Doe is Jac through a talent of Jac’s. He is able to create illusions. That alone is an amazing talent but he also he has strong telepathy and a Shamen healing powers. There are no records of anybody ever having that many talents or at his level. Patrick and Jac form a connection and Jac trusts Patrick. Jac is almost childlike and kind you can’t help but want to protect him. He craves touch which Patrick has always been taught not to do. He has never had physical or emotional affection and he starts to feel love and lust for the first time. He realizes that Jac is truly special and those that know him see him as the key to the future. It gives people the freedom to live in the wild and not be confined to cities or the Outside like they’ve been led to believe. The Outside is on the outskirts of the city where people live in poverty and crime is high. His supervisor tells Patrick to keep Jac’s talents quiet. Patrick thinks Jac should have an amazing career ahead of him with his skills but this is about the time he starts to realize the people who raised him may not be the wonderful people he thought they were. There are stories of them breaking the higher level Talents just to see what they are capable of then disposing them into the Outside. Patrick is falling for Jac and he won’t let that happen to him even if it means losing him forever.

Whit's full review can be found at
Live Your Life, Buy The Book