BarbsBooks

For girls (and boys) who like boys,

who like boys. . . .

Live your Life, Buy the Book

BarbsBooks

Left on St. Truth-be-Well

Left on St. Truth-be-Well - Amy Lane

5 Stars - KAPOW!
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

No question that Amy Lane can write great stories. And at a prolific rate. Often, though, I find that while I admire the story, and most of the time enjoy it – I don’t always love it. She kills me. She is able to drag me in and shred my emotions. This is not one of those stories. This story was just a sublime reading experience – it was fun, funny, sexy and cute – annnd it included one of the very best Alpha characters that I have read in a very long time. Yes. Florida aka Dale had me humpty and melty. I am in love with him.

Carson is sent to Florida to bring back Sassy, his boss’s nephew. He meets Florida pretty much straight away – and so we get to enjoy the cute and easy banter between these guys for a lot of the book, which was great! Grin on your face and LOL great! Both guys admit to being lonely and are quite quick to really connect. Yet it wasn’t insta-love …. insta-lust? Sure. And yet even as I write that I think that’s wrong – their connection goes beyond that – it is bone deep. Pure and simple. :-) Carson is not a pushover, at all, yet he finds himself just doing whatever Dale says – and that never bugged me. Except for one occasion where I thought “back up bossy boots! You cannot force him to do that!” and then in the next line we read that it was not a directive, just an example by Dale of showing Carson that he can say no, and in fact does so. Just perfect. Carson is a city boy through and through – he loves where he lives, he has a side line that feeds his sense of fun while the waiter job puts food on the table, so of course once the nephew is found, and the mystery of the dead body is solved, there is no reason for Carson to hang around. Nothing keeping him there. Suuuuuure….

A quick word about the mystery before I tell you (and for “tell” read wax lyrical) about Dale. The mystery was damn good and hella creepy!! With birds and a hotel with Bates in the name then it is no surprise LOL. I really liked the whodunnit and did not solve it myself. Not even close!

Now for some words on Dale aka Florida – he was simply delicious! You know when a character just hits you. Every button? Well he did that to me. He is such a sexy Alpha – and what makes a sexy Alpha even sexier? A vulnerable side. A sweetness that doesn’t detract from his “man card” :-) He is happy to stay living where he is – because his life and his family, specifically his mum, are there. He is one of life’s perennial students – doing courses that may have no intrinsic value toward finding a job but they certainly add to him, making him this wonderful, grounded character that is able to see right into Carson from the get go. As I said – a bone deep connection. But whilst he is happy to stay put life does go on around him and people move on to bigger and (maybe) better things, at least they hope for better. Carson is quick to see that Dale really can’t be bettered. He is the real deal. But is Carson ready to leave Chicago and step out of the broom-closet? And can Dale survive someone else leaving him? Assuming of course he even lets Carson leave :-) … okay that sounded scary, it wasn’t – but if you like that ownership – that declaration of mine - then you will love Dale and you will love this book.