BarbsBooks

For girls (and boys) who like boys,

who like boys. . . .

Live your Life, Buy the Book

BarbsBooks

Disasterology 101

Disasterology 101 - Taylor V. Donovan

5 Stars - KAPOW!!

Wow! Wow! Wow! That book was just incredible. It has been a long time – tooooo long since I have clutched a new TVD book in my hand. Was it worth the wait? Oh Hell Yeah!! It isn’t often that both MC’s totally enthrall me. Normally it is the Alpha of the duo that I fall far. But in this book I just adore them both. Kevric forever ♥♥

First up is Cedric, and he broke my heart – correction breaks my heart… still!! He will stay with me for a very long time. His struggle to contain his issues is just heartbreaking. He is OCD and a germophobe, who wraps himself up in layers of clothing, including gloves, to minimize any chance of his skin coming into contact with anything. He is able to endure “things” (to a degree) by counting. Kisses are ok so long as they don’t last longer than 3 seconds. He can stay in the same bed as his lover, BUT he has to change the bed linen every three hours. No surprise then that most of his lovers of late have been paid to put up with his quirks.  Numbers are his anchor – specifically 3 – whether in inches, for placement of books or knick-knacks on his desk; or time, as in the amount of hours he can spend with people. Everything in his life is regimental and controlled. If things do go off kilter, and he starts to panic, he counts to thirty. Then he meets a man he can count on. Kevin Morrison.

Kevin is almost too good to be true. He is divorced with 3 (phew! Yes 3!) children. He knows he is gay, has known all his life if he’s honest with himself (which he is!) and he cannot wait to start this new life. But how? When he spies a sex shop advertising peeping booths he sees this as the ideal introduction. Anonymous sex. Perfect. While sitting in a coffee shop across the road from the sex shop (as he builds up the nerve to go peeping) he sees this guy who triggers all his switches. This “pretty thug” also notices Kevin and acts on a rare impulse and follows Kevin to the sex shop. This first contact makes a huge impression on both guys. Not necessarily for the right reason … you might say Kevin bit off more than he could chew. Almost. :-)

Despite the inauspicious start neither guy is able to get the other out of his mind. They run into eachother again a few months later in the most surprising way and, really, from that point on there is no way that they can resist the massive attraction that they have for eachother. It’s just a case of how they can work around all the obstacles in their way. Kevin already has his hands full – two jobs, college, part time jobs to make ends meet, the kids every other weekend – how on earth can he cope with Cedric and all the baggage he brings? Yet, how can he not?

I say Kevin is almost too good to be true, and he was. But I was so glad, later on in the book, when Taylor had him almost unraveling. It is an honest portrayal of how a person would crack under all the pressure. It never read as angst for the sake of angst. His coming out was balanced with support from some and total dickheadedness by others, which I am sure is most often the case. Add into the mix the fact that his new lover is 10 years younger and 10 times wealthier (at least) and due to Cedric’s medication he is not always ready, willing, or indeed able to have sex, and yes, Kevin was bound to explode.

In saying that, I loved how Kevin supported Cedric totally but also wouldn’t pander to him. He and Cedric saw that for progress to be made the boundaries needed to be fluid and Cedric needed to force himself to leave or ignore stuff for a bit, then reward himself. And those rewards are just so damn cute! As with all Taylor’s work the story has fully fleshed out side characters – Kevin’s children are wonderful, in fact his whole family is, and I would love to see a story with Vaughan or Cedric’s friend Evan.

I am not an expert, nor do I have huge experience with OCD affected people – what I do know is that Taylor has managed to write a story based on such a difficult subject without the story ever being depressing. Not that she candy coated it or plotted out an ending that had a miracle cure – it read as fact. Life is tough. But life with a person who completes you means you are more able to face the curve balls it throws at you.

I honestly cannot recommend this book strongly enough. It is a tough read but not a depressing read, the sex is pretty damn hot and the characters are sublime. Seriously. Go. Buy the Book.