BarbsBooks

For girls (and boys) who like boys,

who like boys. . . .

Live your Life, Buy the Book

BarbsBooks

Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I

Special Forces - Mercenaries Part I - Aleksandr Voinov, Marquesate, Vashtan Phew. How to review a book that has almost destroyed me? Do I deduct .25 of a star for each character that I didn't like? Or action that had me alternately crying and then pulling my hair out? Or maybe a whole star should be deducted because I HATED Jean? Because yes, I hated Jean, and yes there are characters in this book that I really don't like very much anymore... Ok, well just Dan. Dan I really disliked. A. Lot. I don't really like the slutty Mad Dog version of Dan, especially when IMO he isn't treating "my" Vadim right :-)

I almost turfed the whole series out, and gave up. That was how upset I was with big passages in the book. BUT if you read this review, and are also having a mini-meltdown, then my advice is - carry on. It gets easier. Things get sorted out and made clearer. I even almost like Jean. Almost.

Ultimately though, I had no choice but to give another 5 star review - because what makes a book great is when it gets right into you. You stay up reading it until 4:30am. You are so invested in a couple that you cry, and cry, AND cry for them. Sure, there will always be things you don't like, don't get, don't want - but the big picture is - could you put the book down? No. Did you spend most of the next day mulling over; and bitching about everything to everyone, tearfully? Yes. That makes a book worth 5 stars, in my opinion.

This review is on the edited Directors Cut up to Ch30, and the original edition thereafter.